We went to Robben Island for part of an afternoon. It was a moving experience. Here are some photos of what we saw, and in some cases an explanation below the picture.
This is a quarry that prisoners worked in. We were told that the sun would shine so brightly on the stones that prisoners would go begin to go blind because of the severe damage to their eyes. The hole in the quarry was used as a bathroom for the prisoners during the day. At times the prisoners would be ordered to move the stones to one side of the quarry, and upon finishing that work would be ordered to move them back to the other side of the quarry. Thats what made the work so awful- that it was often void of meaning or purpose. Thats what hell is, I believe. A lack of defined purpose or meaning. 
This is what redemption looks like. And what justice sounds like.
Sometime in the mid 80s, the prisoners were given bunk beds to sleep on (in the back of the picture). Before that, a prisoner had a mat. In the center of the photo on the floor is one of those mats.
This is the window to Nelson Mandela's cell.
Inside of his cell.

2 comments:
I came across your blog searching under Rich Mullins. Great pics of South Africa. I've never been there, but I'm going there on a missions trip next year. I hear it's a beautiful place.
Thanks for writing this.
Post a Comment